Friday, 27th March 2020
As Aotearoa is now at Alert Level 4, all Step Ahead programmes are cancelled until further notice.
What we are doing
All staff are now working from home.
Our phones continue to operate and we will answer calls or respond to messages to the best of our ability.
We are making contact with all our members by phone.
We are sending regular email newsletters to members who wish to receive it - remember you can opt out or back in at any time.
We are following the advice and announcements made by the Prime Minister and other Government officials.
We will update this web page and share on Facebook whenever there is new information.
What you can do
Please, follow all the advice from the health officials related to Level 4 self isolation.
If you have concerns about your health, please call Healthline on 0800 358 5453 for advice and information.
Prevention – how to protect yourself and others
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow or by covering your mouth and nose with tissues.
- Put used tissues in the bin or a bag immediately.
- Wash your hands with soap and water often (for at least 20 seconds).
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.
- Avoid personal contact, such as kissing, sharing cups or food with sick people.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects, such as doorknobs.
- Stay home if you feel unwell.
Tips for looking after your mental health
Unite Against COVID-19: Looking after your mental wellbeing | Unite against COVID-19
Mental Health Foundation: Mental Health – Looking after mental health and wellbeing during COVID-19
Ministry of Health: COVID-19 - Managing your mental wellbeing
Step Ahead is a membership based, not for profit organisation providing comprehensive programmes that offer social, educational, recreational and pre-vocational activities for adults diagnosed with a mental illness.
Step Ahead's philosophy embraces the concept of progression away from illness and institutional care, towards wellness and independence in the community. Central to this is a positive and understanding environment. Staff engage in a community development and integration approach with members, supporting self-responsibility and independence.
Step Ahead members are involved at all levels of the organisation.